Step 3: Adding Sites
The next step is to find a number of web sites that you'd like to invite to exchange links with your site.
You can start off with just a few, and add more later.
To add sites to your site list, click on Add Sites To The List at the top of the Site List page.
You'll then be given several options for how you'd like to add sites. Each of these are followed by an explanation.
The choices include:
If your site already has a links page, and you'd like to import those links into LinkMachine, you can
do that now. Next, use the Exchange InstantLinks with other LinkMachine users option to find other
LinkMachine users to exchange links with. Then, you may want to use the Add by keywords option
to add 10 or 20 new sites to your site list.
- Exchange InstantLinks with other LinkMachine users - Choose this option to find other LinkMachine
users that you can exchange links with easily, without the need to exchange e-mails. Search by category for
sites that are related in topic to your site.
- Add by keywords - Say your site sells tennis equipment. Then you may want to pick this option, and enter
keywords that would bring up sites like yours - for instance, "tennis equipment" or "tennis gear sale".
From the Search Type menu, you can choose whether you'd like LinkMachine to find sites that match
the keywords you enter, or sites that link to sites that match the keywords you enter, and so may also
be interested in linking to your site. Both of these options can produce good results and are worth trying out.
- Add the sites that link to a particular site - You may want to ask some of the sites that link to a site like yours,
whether they'd like to exchange links with your site. If a site links to a site like yours, even to your competition, it may also be interested in linking to you.
- Add a site by hand - Use this option if there's a particular site that you want to add to your site
list. LinkMachine will bring up a form and allow you to enter all of the relevant information about that site.
- Add the links on a web page - This option is handy if you already have a link page on your site, and
you'd like to import the links on that page into LinkMachine.
- Add the links from an html file - This is also handy for importing links from an existing page. This option
lets you upload the web page file from your computer, so it's useful if the page with the links to import is not on the web.
- Add the links from a .csv file - This option allows you to import the links from a .csv
(comma separated values) spreadsheet file. This can be useful for importing links from another copy of
LinkMachine (installed on another site), or from another link exchange application such as Arelis.
Once you tell LinkMachine to find some sites to add, it gets to work. It visits each site that it adds,
to determine the site's title and description. If you choose, it will also look through each site searching
for a contact e-mail address. Depending on how many sites you ask LinkMachine to find, it may take several minutes
to finish. Every 20 seconds or so LinkMachine will let you know how many sites it's added, and how close
it is to finished. If at any point during the process of adding sites LinkMachine seems to "hang" and stop
updating for a minute or more, just press your browser's Refresh button to get it back on track. Once it's found
as many sites as you've asked it to (or it can't find any more), it will return you to the Site List page.
Continue to Step 4: The Site List